Monday, February 25, 2013

Sensuality

Just a title that cuts to the quick on this subject.

One of the things that we are doing to ourselves and to our blossoming children is omitting sensuality. Oddly, we take away the very core of healthy sexuality.

The thought that comes to mind on this subject is the result of a survey that I read years ago. It was a survey of people after they participated in a taste test between a real blueberry pie and an artificially flavored blueberry pie. I was astonished and insulted to read the results; the artificial blueberry pie won the flavor contest hands down.


How is that even possible?! There was little to no real blueberry flavor in the pie, so how could it win a blueberry pie tasting contest? It wasn't actually blueberry!  How bizarre that a chemically created "blueberry" could taste better than an actual blueberry? Poor real fruit grown normally...I feel your pain.

What other organically authentic sensual experiences are we excluding from society?

I worked in a nursing home for years. Talk about an artificial experience and  lack of sensuality! It would have been a hermetically sealed environment had they not allowed oxygen in!  It took me five months of arguing with my supervisor in order for her to allow me to take residents outside for walks in the fresh air. I felt as if I was suffocating with all the clogged pores and regulated building temperatures. I wondered how all the dust that was floating around the rooms ever left the building. I could see all the residents coated in artificial existence. They needed to sweat. I needed to sweat. So I would take a few of them out every day during my breaks and lunch hour. I took them on one on one walks down into the wooded areas and back up the steep hill. Pushing the more, shall we say, Rubenesque residents up the steep hill in their wheelchairs during the hot summer days was taxing. More than once I thought I was nuts, however when I saw sweat pushing out past the layers of archived must in their faces, I was super-charged like a superhero to keep going in that moment and beyond.

We have to feel life, taste life, smell life, and be charged by life. Life force pulses and radiates in real blueberries, through real air and natural sunlight.


We hear life, engage in life, and are thrown to and fro in the waves of it.

Sure, I can use mapquest to get directions and, while efficient, it misses the sensual interactions of asking a person. I will never forget the most sensual direction asking experience of my life...so far, anyway.  I was driving in Haymarket Square in Boston looking for a parking spot. My mother was in the front passenger seat and my two daughters were in the back. I could not remember where the closest legal parking was, so I stopped and asked some cab drivers who were waiting on the side of the road near the market place. One happily approached the front passenger window of my car. He was incredibly friendly and helpful talking away and showing the route with his hands. My mother's head was turned towards him and I was leaning forward looking past the back of her head to talk to him and get the directions. Slowly, while he was still talking, my mother turned her head to face me. She looked straight at me, face held stoically. There on one lens of her big 1980s eye glasses was a chunk of chewed bagel. While our very helpful cab driver was telling us directions, he accidentally shot a piece of his breakfast out of his mouth and on to my mother's glasses! I started shaking as I attempted to hold in a full blown laughing fit.

Just think about it...plugging an address into a GPS to get somewhere or experiencing fresh air, the noises of life, and a half chewed bagel hitting your eye glasses on the journey to get somewhere.


How sensually "real" is your life? What are you experiencing in your life that touches all of your senses? What makes your hair stand on end? What causes you to sweat? What happens inside your mouth when you eat spicy or sweet or salty or sour? Can you smell something that sends tingling reactions throughout your body? When you look at a burning sunset, do you see the colors and feel them washing over you as the sun disappears beyond the ocean horizon? Can you laugh so hard that you fall to the ground from weakness? Have you ever cried so hard that you thought for sure you disappeared into the blankets of your bed? And have you slowed down a kiss with your lover long enough that you felt, through the softness of the gently touching lips, the ecstasy of a shared sensual lifetime to come?

Choose real blueberries in real blueberry pie, the sweating intensity of an uphill climb in the sun, and smeared cream cheese and everything bagel on your mother's eye glasses, for a sensual life.Once we begin to meld into the ever flowing energy waves of sensual experiences, our ability to share this expansive pleasuring world with our lover will be automatic.

Sensuality. Live it.





No comments:

Post a Comment